Current Travel Advice for Customers. Click here
Taupo holidays - Thrilling, adventurous and welcoming
A brilliant place to discover New Zealand's fascinating geothermal activity, Taupo offers adventure and excitement alongside hot springs, craters, and crystal clear rivers. The people here are incredibly friendly and there’s a brilliant local culture that makes this region really interesting to explore, as well as some of the most beautiful scenery in the region.
Enjoy outdoor activities, friendly locals and stunning vistas
From the moment you set foot in Taupo, you'll see the evidence of the volcanic history of this area and the natural attractions it provides.
The geothermal attractions are one of the most interesting features of this area – from mud pools to some of the largest silica terraces in the world, the landscape is fascinating.
There are plenty of other special experiences to be enjoyed here too, from walking to the Huka Falls to golfing at Wairakei and kayaking to the Maori carvings at Mine Bay.
Lake Taupo is a fantastic spot for fly-fishing, as well as boating, white water rafting and numerous other water-based activities, where you’ll be able to combine adrenalin-inducing adventure with sensational surroundings.
Why visit Taupo?
- Lake Taupo is arguably the biggest draw to this area and with good reason – as New Zealand’s largest freshwater lake, it’s a sight to behold
- Adrenalin junkies will love the vast array of activities on the menu, from white water rafting to jet boarding and biking
- The Huka Falls can be found just north of the lake and are a much-visited attraction
- Fishing enthusiasts will love Taupo – it’s renowned for the activity and is one of the last true wild trout fisheries in the world
- This geothermal area has geysers, steaming thermal lakes and bubbling mud pools, so it’s great for exploring